Wednesday, January 28, 2009

A Cold, Winter Day


It is beautiful outside this morning! Most people know that I LOVE serious weather, be it snow, ice, rain, hail, etc. I once considered being a meteorologist, knowing this, plus thinking that your wardrobe is paid for (I don't think this is true), but then realized that I don't really like being in front of people so this wouldn't work. Bill Meck thanks me for this realization. Anyway, I am very thankful to be tucked away in my house with heat and electricity and with my little Adam to snuggle! I like all the excitement that comes with weather. Everyone catches up with the news, family members call, people feel the need to run to the store, and it gives everyone something to talk about. If you're working, its a nice distraction, if you're in school, you have the chance of missing a day and sleeping in, and when its snow, you can even play outside! I like that sometimes it forces you to slow down, think if that trip outside is REALLY necessary, cook something warm, and stay inside together. Today is one of those days.

This morning I was amazed by all of the ice on the trees so I took some pictures. Later, my mom called to tell me to look at the size of the snowflakes outside - huge! When the snow stopped, I became even more worried about the trees outside. I already thought the ice was weighing them down, and now with more snow on top, we have lost several big limbs and I hope that the trees perk back up when everything melts.
One thing we knew when we bought our house is that the positive of having a sloped back yard is that it will be perfect for sledding, especially the right side of our house. Well, some of our neighbors must have thought the same thing! There were kids outside doing full body rolls down the hill this morning (this only lasted a few minutes; I don't think their mom allowed them to be over here). Later, some bigger kids were over sledding down the same hill. I was watching from the window and thinking that 1) we need to get a sled sometime in the future, you know, to be ready for a good snow and 2) Adam is going to have so much fun in our back yard...if we can keep him out of the creek.
Hope you are home, warm, cozy, and with people you love!

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for giving me a little winter weather to look at. I haven't seen any good snow or ice in a long time.
    By the way, if Adam is anything like his father then it will be very hard to keep him out of the creek... you might even find David playing in the creek with him!!
    Love,
    Leah

    ReplyDelete
  2. We'll be over with a sled!

    ReplyDelete