Monday, February 9, 2009

3 Month Birthday and First Real Smile

Adam is 3 months old today! This morning we went to the doctor for his monthly shot to help protect him against RSV. Not all babies get this shot, but it is recommended for Adam due to his prematurity, and this is his third shot. He was a trooper and just cried a little bit and I was so happy to be there to comfort him.

We weighed him at the visit and he is up to 9 lbs, 10 oz! He was a complete wiggleworm on the scale so it made it difficult to tell because the number was jumping around. The pediatrician was very pleased with his weight gain, and said that if you adjust for his age and put him on the regular growth chart, he is in the 80th percentile!

While we were waiting in the patient room, I was holding Adam, talking to him, and allowing him to hold his head up when he smiled at me! Three times! Since I was talking to him, smiling, and asking him to smile, I really think that it was purposeful. The funny thing is that the doctor had JUST asked if he smiles purposefully and I answered "no". She said it would likely happen in the next 2-3 weeks but instead it happened in the next five minutes. I think I am counting this one as the official first because I was able to get him to reproduce it while he was looking at me. (I am very particular about all the record-keeping - surprise - and I have wondered how I would know when it was his first smile). It made me cry, as did the shot, but thankfully I was behind closed doors for both (until I just posted it on the internet). We thank the Lord for our sweet baby, for how far he has come, and for how he has blessed our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment